The Trajectory of Technology
by Eric Drexler on 2013/02/26
atomically precise manufacturing:
• Will enable large-scale, low-cost production of advanced products.
• Can enable solutions to seemingly intractable global problems.
• Will enable rapid draw-down of atmospheric CO2 levels.
• Rests on well-understood scientific and engineering principles.
• Will require further advances in atomically precise fabrication.
• Relevant research to date has been fragmented and unfocused.
• The primary challenges today are conceptual and institutional.