My US speaking & event schedule

by Eric Drexler on 2013/05/03

For the publication of Radical Abundance: (official pub date, 7 May) I will be in the US with a travel schedule that includes several public events:

Monday, May 6th, Albany, NY, 8:00 pm

Reading and Q&A with the general public, Assembly Hall, Campus Center, University at Albany uptown campus.

Wednesday, May 8th, New York-Los Angeles, 5:30 pm

Live Talks Los Angeles evening event, Idealab, 130 W. Union Street, Pasadena, CA 91103. 5:30 pm reception, 6pm talk, followed by Q&A and book signing.

Thursday, May 9th, Los Angeles, CA, 7:45 am

Live Talks Los Angeles Breakfast, Gensler Downtown LA (an architecture firm), 500 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles. Interview/conversation followed by audience Q&A. Venue holds 150-175.

Thursday, May 9th, Seattle, WA, 7:30-9:00 pm

Town Hall with University Bookstore, 1119 8th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101. 40-50 minute talk, audience Q&A, and book signing.

Then it’s back to Oxford, pending trips to Lisbon and Baku.

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Tim May 6, 2013 at 12:03 am UTC

Come to Chicago!

Gus May 9, 2013 at 9:28 am UTC

Yes. Come to Chicago!

Anne Marie Tobias May 16, 2013 at 7:21 am UTC

Eric, I first want to say how much I regard your work. My greatest concern for the future isn’t the advance of technology, that ship has left the dock. My concern is the hijacking of the future by self absorbed plutocrats and that concern is amplified by the ever larger share of common good being produced that they help themselves to. Today in the United States, its fair to say that the nation’s power and wealth have been concentrated on a vanishing few. How do we prevent this from killing real human advance in the future?

Hi Anne —
I hope that Radical Abundance will help to frame a more productive discussion of this problem. What people choose depends on their perceptions regarding how the world works, or could, and those perceptions need to change to align with the realities of emerging technologies. As I say in a chapter titled “Changing Our Conversation About the Future”, “As perceptions change, possibilities and politics change with them.”
— Eric